- An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations has translation publisher
- Thomas Cadell bookseller civil servant publisher
- Benjamin Franklin freemason politician publisher writer
- David Hume economist historian philosopher
- Andrew Millar bookseller publisher
- John Moore editor physician traveller writer
- Thomas Spilsbury bookseller publisher
- Andrew Strahan bookseller politician publisher
- British Parliament political institution
One of the most successful publishers of the 18th century. Linked to Philadelphia via James Read, David Hall and Benjamin Franklin. Obtained a patent as king's printer in 1770, becoming one of the largest printing firms in Britain.
He sat for Parliament between 1774–84, having purchased both seats.