L'Imprimerie de la rue de Vaugirard (English Press)
- Advice to the privileged orders in the several states of Europe resulting from the necessity and propriety of general revolution in the principle of government. Part II has paratext has other edition publisher
- Correspondance Politique et Confidentielle, inédite de Louis XVI, avec ses Frères, et Plusieurs Personnes Célèbres, Pendant les Dernières Années de Son Règne, et Jusqu'a Sa Mort: Avec des Observations par Hélène-Maria Williams has translation publisher
- Dissertation on first principles of government translation publisher
- Dissertation sur les premiers principes de gouvernement has translation has other edition publisher
- Lettres sur les événemens qui se sont passés en France, depuis le 31 mai 1793 jusqu'au 10 thermidor, par Hélene Marie Williams, traduites de l'Anglois translation publisher
- New translation of Volney's Ruins or Meditations on the Revolution of Empires translation has paratext has other edition publisher
- Paul and Virginia. Translated from the French of Bernardin Saint-Pierre by Helen Maria Williams translation has paratext publisher
- The government of the people, or A sketch of a constitution for the universal commonwealth has translation publisher
- Helen Maria Williams novelist poet salonnière translator writer
- James Smith bookseller publisher
- John Hurford Stone entrepreneur publisher writer
- Pierre-Théophile Barrois bookseller publisher
- William Adlard publisher
This press, also known as the 'The English Press' or Imprimerie Anglaise' was founded by John Hurford Stone in 1793. His associates in this enterprise included the Reverend Benjamin Beresford, a brother-in-law of the United Irishman, Archibald Hamilton Rowan, Helen Maria Williams, T. S. Gillet (London-based) and later, James Smith.
Its first publication was Joel Barlow's epic poem, 'Vision of Columbus' (July 1793), sold by P.-T. Barrois, a regular collaborator and R. Thomson.
From 1803-04, when difficulties arose over the publication of a censored work by HM Williams, it was renamed 'Smith & Cie' after its director of operations.
In 1805 it relocated to the rue de l'Echiquier, then the rue de Bondi (from 1810) and finally the rue de Réunion, renamed Rue Montmorency (from 1812). When Stone left the business in March 1813, it was renamed after his successor, James Smith. Before Smith's association with Stone, the foreman of the business was Adlard and his son, who later became Paris publishers in their own right (see, for example, the translation of Paine's 'The decline and fall of the English system of finance').